31.10.06

die die my darling




for halloween,
some epitaphs from here.


Jackie Gleason:
"And away we go!"

Werner Karl Heisenberg:
"He lies here, somewhere."
This is a pun on the famous Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which implies that one may not know the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

Jeremiah Johnson:
"I told you I was sick."

Dorothy Parker:
"Excuse my dust"

Oscar Wilde:
"And alien tears will fill for him
Pity's long-broken urn,
For his mourners will be outcast men,
And outcasts always mourn."

William P. Rothwell:
(carved into a boulder) "This is on me."

what would i want for an epitaph?

perhaps "the most intelligent thing a starving man can do is fast"? (i can't remember who said this.)

or maybe this from calvino: "at night, putting your ear to the ground, you can sometimes hear a door slam."

what words would you want?

** photo from northstar gallery

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He liked geese.

I don’t know why this popped into my head. At first it sounds just silly but I have had reflective, sad and joyful small moments as geese flew overhead. I love the sound as it grows and fades.

Anonymous said...

Get off me.

Anonymous said...

We saw the wrecks of buildings
And ships that sank in starlight
We saw the ghosts of angels
That spoke of falls from tremendous heights

Don't you leave us in the dark


( from a song by josh ritter)

Julie R said...

nice one.